Digging dirt, moving earth or just driving down the road, construction vehicles are captivating. This extra thick wooden puzzle includes six easy-grasp, chunky vehicle pieces. Each vehicle has a full-color, matching picture underneath and can stand upright for pretend play. Encourages hand-eye, fine motor and creative expression skills.
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Ask the child to place all the pieces in a line, either flat on the play surface or standing up (depending on the child's abilities).
- Ask the child to point to all the machines that are red. Then, one color at a time, ask the child to find machines that are yellow, blue and orange.
- Line up the machines and count them aloud with the child.
- Identify each machine, and describe the way it moves or works. (A cement mixer spins. A water truck carries a tank and rolls on lots of wheels. A bulldozer moves on tracks and pushes dirt with its dozer blade. An excavator lifts heavy rocks and dirt in its scoop. A truck has wheels and can carry big loads. A dump truck brings dirt, rocks and debris to a different place and dumps them in a pile.)
- With all the pieces on the puzzle board, ask the child questions to make up a simple story about the construction site. For instance, "What do you think the machines are building here?" or "Which machine will finish its work first? Where will it go after the workday?"